Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Traffic lights

A guy that I work with made an interesting observation today. He was expressing his frustrations with using computers. He said that "computers are like traffic lights". He went on to explain that whilst trying to complete tasks using computers, the computer tells us when we can proceed, when we have to wait (for it), how fast we can go, how long it will take us to complete the task. He says his next job will be not with computers!Obviously this guy wants to move at his own speed, he is ambitious and doesnt want to be slowed and dictated to by computers anymore. But I asked him what his next job would be, he had no idea. So he cant be THAT ambitious. He has no idea what he wants to move on to!

But yes, this job I am in feels like a traffic light to me. It is slowing me down, it is stopping me from doing things I want to move on to, but on the positive, it is providing me with saftey and security.And acutally, part of me, when I am not on the highway of employment, is travelling the backroads - free of traffic lights (but full of bends) and I am travelling to where I want to be. I'll be off the controlled highway soon!

Where are your traffic lights?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine linger somewhere in the back of my mind...

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a long winding road for me, but lately I see traffic lights – both the real and the figurative ones – as a chance for me to just sit and wait. It may sound obvious, but earlier on, I was one of those poor things, whose blood pressure increased each second I had to wait for things outside my control.

But of course: if you’re on a permanent red light, then it’s time to figure out, if you can find another road, or try to drive on anyway. ;)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home